Board of Directors
We are expanding diversifying decolonizing our Board!
Volunteer Board Member Job Description
The Bay Area Women Against Rape (BAWAR) Board of Directors is seeking individuals who are committed to BAWAR’s mission and challenging all forms of oppression that contribute to an environment where sexual violence is normal and tolerated. We are seeking individuals who bring the needed expertise to move this work forward and who have a commitment to serving survivors and their communities in Alameda County.
BAWAR offers 24-hour hotline support and crisis response services to survivors of sexual violence and their loved ones. We also offer post-crisis coaching and advocacy within the medical and legal systems, accompaniment during court hearings and police station meetings; developmentally appropriate education for junior high school through college age students; community education, training for emergency room staff, therapists, educators and community groups; and state certification training for sexual assault counselors. All of our services are available in both English and Spanish.
From its inception, BAWAR had two basic goals: 1) to establish a place where sexual assault survivors can receive the quality counseling and advocacy they need and, 2) to provide community education about sexual assault. Our current goal is to empower, support, and advocate for survivors of gender-based violence and their loved ones. BAWAR also strives to provide education to the community at large to disrupt legacies of violence and dismantle systems that uphold them.
By providing both crisis intervention and fierce advocacy, BAWAR continues to work toward its ultimate goal: the elimination of sexual violence.
FUNCTION: The Board of Directors actively governs and oversees the management of BAWAR. The Board’s duties include fundraising, policy making, fiscal planning and management, strategic planning, board development, public relations, and supervision of the Executive Director.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Understand and support the mission, philosophy and programs of BAWAR.
- Agree to commit two years of service as specified in the By-Laws, with re-application every two years.
- Attend and actively participate in board meetings as well as retreats and emergency meetings as necessary. Be prepared to discuss and/or present assignments.
- Actively serve on at least one committee by attending committee meetings, as needed.
- Attend and participate in board development and training seminars, workshops and in-service training.
- Participate in at least one major fundraising event or project per year by committing time and/or money.
- Participate with other board members and staff to enhance community awareness of BAWAR programs and issues regarding sexual violence.
TIME COMMITMENT: Three-year term. Estimated 4-6 hours per month
TO APPLY: Please complete our online form: BAWAR Volunteer Board Member Application